Wednesday, August 24, 2005

don't entertain them!

this person from ... bank had been ringing me almost everyday, from the 2nd day of my grandmother's death. i told her to ring back, and gave her the reason, and yet, she rang me everyday after that. so finally, when the funeral was over, i decided to give her some time for being so persistent. no, wait. for trying to do her job.

woman: hello mam, i'm calling from ... can i talk to you for 5 minutes?

me: Mm.

woman: you are currently holding our ... cards, and your credit shield is not activated.

me: yah i know.

woman: we can activate your credit shield for you right now.

me: what does it do for me?

woman: (explain explain, boring boring)

me: what must i pay?

woman: (explain explain, boring boring) so if there is no balance left, you don't have to pay a cent.

me: Mm. but if there is no balance left, then you don't actually have anything to cover right?

woman: HUH?

me: nevermind.

(i'm thinking - this woman obviously is reading from some kind of script, adding in her own grammatical errors, and knows fuck-all about what she is trying to promote.)

woman: so i will activate it for you now?

me: no, i don't want it.

woman: (with a tone of voice so alarmed as if i had just rejected the hundred million bucks that she was going to transfer to my bank account for nothing.) HUH?! WHY?!!!

me: look, i don't have time to explain to you why i don't want it.

what i really wanted to say was - "look. i don't know you, and i'm not interested in telling you why. please don't use this tone on me because i am not your friend and i am not obligated to tell you the reasons why i don't want this fucking thing. and because you appear not understand how this whole thing works, and that it is basically another con job (and you're just a conman hired by some big company), i don't really want to run the risk of wasting my time. especially on someone i don't even know. and let's face it, you are not really interested in knowing why i don't want this thing anyway. so please don't annoy me by being presumptuous. besides, i have actually listened to you this whole time parroting about this wonderful-oh-so-irresistable deal even though i've already read it in the promotional letters that your company sends out."

woman: oh, pauses longer than is necessary OK. (using a completely different tone to before. this time, dare i say, even a little condescending.)

hangs up

NABEHCHEEBYE!

"oh"

"OK"?

what the fuck?!!

8 Comments:

At 24/8/05 11:59, Blogger Terz said...

Ah, yes. The persistent bank callers.

Reminds me of the countless times they've called to ask if they could extend my credit line, get myself some sort of debit thingy (I don't remember how it works, but it just means that I can overspend my monthly credit limit at LOW, LOW interest rates).

And then they don't understand why I don't want these things when I tell them I'm perfectly happy with my current credit limit, and that I don't plan on not paying my bills on time every month, so giving me something that'll encourage me to spend more and not pay doesn't really make sense. But, but... what about a rainy day?

Uh, yes, that's why some people are shit-deep in debt and I'm not.

Morons.

 
At 24/8/05 16:26, Blogger ampulets said...

your post title says it all. don't entertain the caller. don't give false hope - i tell myself that in this case, being too nice is actually being cruel - since there is 0% chance I would actually purchase the product anyway.

 
At 25/8/05 04:16, Blogger  said...

amp - i don't usually entertain them. this is like one of the very very few times that i did.

and i don't really see it as giving false hope. its not them who are personally benefitting from a successful sale anyway! =)

 
At 25/8/05 04:31, Blogger Packrat said...

I'm a little too nice I guess...I listen to their spiel before telling them no. Unless they're giving me gold cards for 3 years free. :)

 
At 25/8/05 15:37, Blogger angry doc said...

Nabeh just about says it all, doesn't it?

Why do telemarketeers insult me by assuming that I'm too dumb to know there's no such thing as a free lunch?

Next time you get a call, ask the woman if she's from this call-centre:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/164776/1/.html

 
At 25/8/05 15:42, Blogger angry doc said...

Dang. url didn't come through; anyway, it's a link to this story about how Changi Womens Prison has inmates manning (womanning?) a call-centre.

 
At 26/8/05 08:51, Blogger  said...

angry doc - oh yes, i recently saw that one too. they had the university grad being really positive about this.

well, i guess it wasn't her on the other end of the line...

 
At 26/8/05 10:07, Blogger angry doc said...

Well, if it's any consolation angry doc deals with morons day-in, day-out, and is not allowed to lose his temper (unless he wants to lose his job too...)

Have a viddy at my blog if you have the time... in between answering phone calls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home