Tuesday, September 13, 2005

more Eric Khoo, + song

watched Be With Me yesterday. some complaints, but it's a lot better than MeePok Man.

Possible Spoilers:




the whole silence, lack of words, or maybe for some characters, the inbility to express, (the silence "filled-in" by music in certain scenes) kept making me think of Wong Kar-Wai's' In the Mood for Love throughout the film. and because In the Mood is such a special film, i kept thinking "Rip Off! Rip Off!"

i felt really sorry for the security guard. but seriously, Khoo seems to have done it again. super pathetic characters. i mean, freak accidents do happen, but it seems to be pushing it a bit when the broken-hearted girl Jackie decides to jump and then land on him. i mean, she was so well-placed on top of the poor guy. me friend thinks she was almost too perfectly placed, that it is a bit insulting to the audience's intelligence - that if it were not done that way, we wouldn't get that she landed on him and killed him instead. so the poor guy dies, after he painstakingly wrote his love-letter to the woman he secretly admires. yet another "pathetic" "under-achieving" Singaporean who has no way out of the misery he feels, much like Meepok Man.

(now i actually feel quite cheated that i watched MeePok Man.)

but the story that evolved around Theresa Chan is very well done. especially scenes that involved the old guy who is trying to deal with the loss of his wife. good acting from the characters in this story. the film is definitely worth watching for this story of the film.

but wait - don't go without having eaten first.

End of Possible Spoilers

oh and yes, they checked my ID when i bought tickets.

auntie: girl, got IC?

me: (laughs) you want to check my IC arh? M-18 right?

(me hands her my IC)

auntie: WOOH...

me: YEAH...

auntie: but i thought you look so young, ...

all these ridiculous people. i know its supposed to be flattering, but c'mon. its not funny when they start to make you think - what would you give
to be that young again? and more importantly, would you want to? (all this will then degenerate into perhaps depressing thoughts, in line with trying to find a new job, etc, etc.)

...

sat in R's car the other night listening to the King's Singers. The song that stuck was Billy Joel's "And So It Goes". Give it a listen if you get the chance. The original version is great too. Just singing and piano. here are the lyrics:

In every heart there is a room
A sanctuary safe and strong
To heal the wounds from lovers past
Until a new one comes along

I spoke to you in cautious tones
You answered me with no pretense
And still I feel I said too much
My silence is my self defense

And every time I've held a rose
It seems I only felt the thorns
And so it goes, and so it goes
And so will you soon I suppose

But if my silence made you leave
Then that would be my worst mistake
So I will share this room with you
And you can have this heart to break

And this is why my eyes are closed
It's just as well for all I've seen
And so it goes, and so it goes
And you're the only one who knows

So I would choose to be with you
That's if the choice were mine to make
But you can make decisions too
And you can have this heart to break

And so it goes, and so it goes
And you're the only one who knows.

3 Comments:

At 14/9/05 15:35, Blogger Trebuchet said...

I know that song; it comes from the King's Singers CD 'Good Vibrations'. Probably one of the most excellent moody CDs ever.

 
At 14/9/05 19:04, Blogger wahj said...

great song

 
At 15/9/05 17:04, Blogger  said...

darth sidhe: the most excellent moody CD is The Blue Nile's Hats. check it out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home