Sunday, January 15, 2006

a little bit of history

today i found out that my family is from the Guangdong province in China. We are from the Cao(2) (the "Teo" in Teochew - sorry, can't remember how it's written) An(1) 安 town, and my dad has this property in the Gu(3) 古 Lou(2) 楼 something (village maybe?). The property, as described by my dad, has this huge courtyard in the middle, with corridors all around the sides. And then there are rooms by the 2 sides, and at the opposite end of the main gate, you have the reception hall, and from there, you get into the main hall, and then more rooms. The kitchen is somewhere behind all that, and beyond, a sort of garden. As he was describing it, i thought about the scene in Hero, where they were fighting, in the courtyard of the place, raindrops hitting the bamboo (? - memory of the film a bit fuzzy now...)

this all came about because my dad toyed with the idea of retiring "back home". Being sort of sick and tired of urban life and idiots (we met one just before he started this conversation), he asked my mum if she would like to go back to China and lead a quiet life.

it would be kind of cool to a certain extent - but this is just coming from the selfish thinking that there would be so many photo opportunities for me, and also, a rather romantic perspective on the kind of life that could be led.

5 Comments:

At 17/1/06 06:55, Blogger Tym said...

I have always maintained that I didn't want to visit China because I've heard so many horror stories about the toilets, but your description here makes me say, faster go! And we go with you to soak up the old Chinese villa feeling also!

 
At 18/1/06 01:54, Blogger ampulets said...

hey didn't know your dad's from China?! what did your mom say...no?

 
At 18/1/06 02:59, Blogger  said...

Both my parents were born there!

 
At 18/1/06 15:35, Blogger ampulets said...

wah, you 1st generation singaporean...so i guess they could go back and live there.

(the word verification is kxpup!)

 
At 19/1/06 08:13, Blogger  said...

yah man, i'm 1st gen man. =)

don't think my mother is too keen to go back. they both moved here when they were really young, like even before they were 10 years old. but like tym said, soaking up the villa feeling does seem quite appealing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home